Monday, July 02, 2007

Goodness, I'd nearly forgotten about bimbo eruptions

Gawker wonders if Bill Clinton has really stopped philandering while his wife is seeking the Democratic nomination for President, or if he's just gotten much better at hiding it.

Personally, I think the most likely explanation is the one Gawker considered but discarded: that his heart troubles which resulted in bypass surgery have prevented him from engaging in physically demanding or exciting activities with twenty-somethings. That and being paraded in front of the entire country as a guy who cheated on his wife are likely to put a damper on the enthusiasm for strange tail.

But if Hillary wins the nomination, how long before every paparazzi and Republican operative in the country is on the hunt for tales of additional Monicas, Paulas, and Gennifers? And would this be the first time in history that the infidelity of a candidate's SPOUSE is fair game for the dirt patrol? Somehow I just don't see oppo researchers or the press trying to collect evidence that Michelle Obama is boffing the gardener or that Ann Romney has a problem keeping her panties on.

I just don't know that I'm prepared for another round of people caring way too much about where Bill Clinton's penis has been. Even if they can't find any evidence that he's still screwing around, you just know that if Hillary wins the nomination we will hear a steady drumbeat of ancient history about his past indiscretions as part of a whisper campaign about how if Hillary can't keep her husband in line that either she's a snowed-over wimp or it's a sham marriage. And none of it will be relevant in the slightest to whether she should be president. I feel disgusted at the thought that one of the things voters will undoubtedly be affected by in their decision of whether to vote for her is whether they would have been able to stay with Bill after the Monica Lewinsky affair became public. That has absolutely zero to do with her ability to be a good president and yet we will have it beaten into our heads from the focus groups and polls and all the other assorted nonsense.

I just can't stand the infuriating madness that I think we will be in for if she is successful in gaining the nomination. She is just not the right candidate to blaze this trial.

2 comments:

Amber Rhea said...

Somebody's gotta blaze the trail. I'm glad she's got the guts to do it.

Jen said...

She's got balls that's for sure.