Sunday, May 06, 2007

Last weekend of freedom

I haven't blogged since Friday night in the airport at Galveston (ignore the typos--that's what happens when I attempt to post hastily from a Blackberry) and I don't much care. I am taking this weekend as my last weekend of freedom until after trial or my case resolves, in the unlikely event that happens. Yesterday I got my hair cut, which I do not love but that's mainly because it's shorter than I'd like. Then I got my nails done and did some shopping. Then I went to hang out with friends on the patio and to watch the Derby. We pulled cards with horses' names from a bucket for $5 and I got "Scat Daddy," who didn't do that well.

About 8pm some of us went to see #s 350-400 of the "500 Songs for Kids" benefit at Smith's Olde Bar, which I blogged about recently. Holy crap is this a great idea--we saw bands and artists we'd never encounter otherwise and they really put their own stamp on some great songs. There was one band in particular who did Allman Brothers' "Whipping Post" and it was phenomenal. It was so fun to marvel at the great songs and to try and guess what each band that came up was going to perform, and to hear really creative renderings of wonderful music. The shows are running nightly through May 12th and it cost us just $7 to get in. Apparently some really big names will be participating for songs 50-1, which will occur next Saturday night. If you're around and are into live music, I urge you to check it out. And it's for a great cause.

Today I watched the Nascar race and have been trying very hard not to die. I also made my first trek to the new Trader Joe's, which was packed. I know TJ's well from Boston but am thrilled to see them here, and thrilled to see they will carry my favorite wine of all time, Honey Moon Viognier, once it's not Sunday. If you haven't checked out the new Trader Joes stores in ATL you should do that too.

Now that I am feeling awake (alert is still a long way off...probably tomorrow) I think I'm going to try a little poker.

3 comments:

Mike said...

that was fun so who are the heavyweights next week or is it all anonymous

Sara said...

I don't think they are announcing who will be performing. They mentioned wanting to get some of the local artists who have songs on the list, such as REM and Outkast. And I think Griftdrift said he heard Drivin n Cryin was performing at some point.

We want to try and go next Sat., you guys should come too.

Jen. CHICKTASTIC! said...

Sounds like the 500 for kids was cool. I'd go next week ...but well. you know.

Have fun.