I ca fee ma feh
(If you've seen the old Bill Cosby standup routine, you know that's novocaine-speak for "I can't feel my face.")
So round 2 with the dentist is over and it was much bumpier ride than the first time around. I had a different hygienist and I don't know if it was the hormones or what but everything hurt and when she started to describe the next round of the process I got so anxious that my hands were clenched into fists and I got tears in my eyes. It was a totally strange reaction and I wasn't prepared for it--which of course made me react even worse. I seriously started contemplating right then that I would just go through with today's procedures and never go back. I'm still contemplating it.
Then I had to get my cavity filled, only the other tooth the dentist wanted to check also apparently had a small cavity, so I had to get two fillings. They gave me nitrous, and it took a long time to feel anything. When I finally did feel something, it was a dull headache and a sensation akin to bedspins--but a far cry from the laughing or talking gibberish they told me to expect. I didn't really like it, but we kept it at a low level and I just tried to lay there with my eyes closed and ignore what was going on. I didn't feel the first novocaine prick or anything they did with the drill on the left side, but I felt the novocaine pricks on the right side and they hurt. The hygienist also made me gag once when she squirted water directly onto my epiglottis--something I'd warned them about but they still seemed utterly unprepared for.
After it was done the dentist told me that because the left side cavity had been pretty close to the nerve, there is a chance my nerve will die and I will need a root canal. That would suck hugely, so I am going to be vigilant about it. I'm supposed to watch for throbbing or pain in all sorts of situations--when in contact with cold, when laying down, etc.
And now I can't feel the right side of my face. I can talk fine but I am trying without success to eat a turkey Fatburger and drink a diet coke and finding it much too much trouble. I really hope this wears off soon, since it is not a pleasant sensation.
And I'm still thinking about not going back for the "scaling" they want to do next. It sounds godawful. Thankfully my appointment is not until August 28th.
The good news is I can probably manage Black Crowes tonight, unless this really starts to hurt.


2 comments:
Actually, a root canal should be less of an ordeal than the procedures you just had. I had a root canal in 2004 - and I've had a LOT of dental work in my relatively short life. I don't understand why, in this day and age, they can't find a way to make dentistry less brutal overall.
I just decided that the only way I'm getting that scaling thing done is if they give me something like Halcion that will pretty much knock me out. One of my parents can take me home afterwards and let me sleep it off. But no way would I do it just on nitrous--I was far too alert and anxious today even with the nitrous.
If they tried to give me a root canal I would demand that I be knocked out, no question.
Post a Comment