What I saw at the revolution
Well, I went to the Kos thing at Manuel's. Here is griftdrift's take. I don't disagree with either of his points in which he agreed with Kos, but there were a couple interesting points that he didn't mention. First, Kos got a big round of applause when he gave credit to the online progressive blogger community for giving Joe Lieberman a tough primary challenge in his Senate race. Lieberman is apparently the poster child for bad Democrats everywhere, because of his moderate positions and his support for the Iraq war. I personally don't agree with Lieberman about Iraq and I don't think he's a good presidential candidate, but I'm not sure I can agree that it's smart politics to cannibalize from within rather than worrying about regaining power first and dealing with the outliers second.
Also, a general observation--I've now been to these sorts of gatherings in Tallahassee, Boston, and Atlanta. Why are they always filled with geeks? I mean, seriously...the guy who rode there on his bicycle, the short sleeved dress shirted, pocket protectored, Neon-driving IT guys, the freaky conspiracy theorists...the locales change but the geeky makeup of these sorts of gatherings never do. It always feels like they are populated largely by people who have the misguided impression that this is the one place where people really like them. I'm left wondering what your average conservative activist gathering looks like in comparison. I'm guessing it involves more money, and guns.
Anyhow, it was fun even if I drank a little too much and stayed a little too late. I'm leaving off a particularly hilarious anecdote out of respect for griftdrift, but perhaps if you are lucky he will tell you. I laughed so hard I cried.


No comments:
Post a Comment