Tuesday, September 22, 2009

An interesting Atlanta-centered legal dispute

The organizers of this year's Dragon*Con are working through lawyers to persuade the Guinness Book of World Records to grant them the record for the largest choreographed performance of "Thriller," with over 900 people. Watch it here:



The previous record was 242 participants, but unfortunately before the Dragon*Con dancers' record could be established, almost 14,000 Mexicans beat them out and were able to obtain the official Guinness record. I'm not really sure how much of a legal issue this is (is the Guinness system considered an offer of a prize for completion of a task in reliance upon the receipt of the prize?) but I am sure one of the other lawyers who reads here and who has burned away fewer brain cells since law school than I have can wax philosophical on that point.

At any rate, the Dragon*Con video is hilarious, if for no other reason than at one point you see the Flying Spaghetti Monster doing the Thriller dance. Mexico's got nothing on that!

No comments: