Monday, July 10, 2006

Hope springs eternal

I'm glad I was at home because the sweetest little Democratic party canvasser just came by--she was so full of hope and cheer and eager to give her spiel that it just warmed my heart. I still burst out laughing when she said she hoped my contribution would help us bring back a Democratic majority in the Georgia legislature and in Congress...ah, youthful enthusiasm.

She said they were collecting a shitload (my term, hers was a much cuter "lots and lots") of cash in Inman Park and Morningside where I live. People apparently seem very enthusiastic this year.

And she stumbled a little bit when trying to explain to me how Howard Dean's 50 state strategy is being implemented, but I forgave her and didn't even reveal that I knew what she was talking about and could probably explain it better than she could.

Bless her heart, I weep for the day when she'll have her eternal optimism, her belief that anything is possible if you want it bad enough, dashed against the rocks when she realizes that it's all just shades of crookedness and varying quantities of different tasting bullshit. For now, for just a minute, she made me remember my own idealist days, and I smiled.

1 comment:

Li Mortacci Tua said...

Youthful enthusiasm. To think I went to a rally in Harrisburg PA to protest 3-mile island- lot of good that did. To think all my friends used to canvas for NYPIRG and I almost did it too- but I knew deep down it would suck.